An experienced litigator, Garth is skilled at helping to resolve family or business disputes with straightforward communication and a solution-oriented style. He has years of experience in seeking, and finding, collaborative outcomes that protect his clients’ interests through challenging personal, marital and financial disputes.
Garth is a strong proponent of collaborative law and mediation. Garth has helped settle many complex and highly contentious disputes outside of the court setting. These settlements include no-court divorces and the collaborative resolution of estate and business disputes. He is equally effective when arguing for his clients in the Supreme Court or Court of Appeal.
Garth is a clear communicator who helps his clients identify their best possible desired outcomes, and then pursues that goal through the most appropriate legal mechanisms. More than simply resolving disputes, Garth encourages clients to look forward, not backward, and find solutions that preserve families, businesses and assets, and build a foundation for the future. Among his peers—who frequently refer their clients—Garth is recognized for his ability to successfully conclude seemingly unresolvable situations.
Professional Associations / Accreditations
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia since 1984
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Member, Trial Lawyers Association of BC
- Member, Collaborative Divorce BC
- Listed in the BC Parenting Coordinator Roster
- BC Collaborative Roster Society
Education / Accreditation
- Bachelor of Music, University of British Columbia, 1975
- Master of Education, University of British Columbia, 1982
- Bachelor of Laws, University of British Columbia, 1983
- Admitted to the British Columbia Bar, 1984
- Accredited mediator, family law arbitrator, parenting coordinator by the Law Society of British Columbia
Interests / Community Engagement
Garth is a patron of the arts and is a member of the men’s choir, Chor Leoni. Garth is a founding director and past president of the Richmond Concert Association and chair of the Richmond Gateway Theatre Endowment Fund. He is a member of and past president of the Richmond Sunrise Rotary Club and past assistant district governor for Rotary International.