A civil litigator with considerable experience in personal injury and commercial matters, Derek has been practicing law for nearly 20 years. He has represented his clients at all levels of British Columbia’s Provincial and Superior Courts, as well as various federal and provincial administrative tribunals. For situations that do not require the courts, he is a sensitive and experienced mediator, in both formal and informal mediation processes.
Derek is a detail-oriented, goal-focused advocate for his clients who is comfortable with complex financial documents and business records. He is skilled at quantifying loss, particularly in cases where record keeping may not reflect true value, such as sole proprietorship and closely-held companies. When necessary, he works to support his clients’ cases with supplementary expert evidence from economists, vocational specialists and others.
Professional Associations / Accreditations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, B.C. branch
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Trial Lawyers Association of B.C.
Education / Accreditation
- Bachelor of Arts (International Relations), University of British Columbia, 1997
- Bachelor of Laws, University of British Columbia, 2001
- Admitted to the British Columbia Bar, 2002
Interests / Community Engagement
When not practicing law, he enjoys swimming, being an amateur watchmaker, and spending time with his family.