Derek is a civil litigator with considerable experience in personal injury and commercial matters. He has been practicing law in British Columbia since 2002. He has appeared in all levels of British Columbia’s Provincial and Superior Courts, as well as various federal and provincial administrative tribunals. He is also experienced with both formal and informal mediation processes.
In practice, Derek is detail-oriented and goal focused. He is often able to find flexible approaches to quantifying loss, particularly in cases involving sole proprietorships or closely-held companies, where record keeping has been less than ideal. Derek is very comfortable with complex financial documents and business records. When necessary, he coordinates his efforts with economists, vocational specialists and other experts, to get the best possible evidence to quantify a claim.
Derek is fluent in Cantonese, with a strong working knowledge of Mandarin.
Professional Associations / Accreditations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, B.C. branch
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Trial Lawyers Association of B.C.
Education / Accreditation
- Bachelor of Arts (International Relations), University of British Columbia, 1997
- Bachelor of Laws, University of British Columbia, 2001
- Admitted to the British Columbia Bar, 2002
Interests / Community Engagement
When not practicing law, he enjoys swimming, being an amateur watchmaker, and spending time with his family.